Total Pageviews

About this blog

I have 3 brothers, none of whom I grew up with.
This just talks about how we met.

Tuesday 7 December 2010

Did I say 1981?

Well, the next thing was 1976.
I was working as a trainee psychiatric nurse in Leicester.
It was the last course that covered mental health and learning disabilities.
I would shuttle between the Towers Hospital and Glenfrith Hospital.
Anyway, mum's sister, Aunty Ilse, came over from Germany and they both went to Weston-super-Mare for a week. Dad and I stayed at home. We both had to work.
On a very hot Saturday in the summer, Dad came to pick me up from work, as we were going to Weston to pick mum and Aunty Ilse up.
They were staying in a hotel by the pier. Dad and I had booked in for the night.
Anyway, the 4 of us were in the dining area/bar having dinner.
Dinner finished,we had a couple of drinks, well I did anyway.
Music playing, everyone happy, I was getting tipsy on the atmosphere, with a little help from the gin and bitter lemon!
Dad grabbed a table cloth and made like a Toreador, and I made like a bull!
Funny, that, because it was a Greek hotel!
Anyway, the manager went a got a red table cloth to make it more realistic....memory fades.....
The next morning, when we all came down to breakfast, all the guest applauded as me and my dad descended the stairs that led straight into the breakfast/bar area.
I can't remember too well what we did, but it must have been good!!

There you go, going off on a tangent again!
Funny what you remember, (or don't).
Back to business.

It transpired, that Mum and Aunty Ilse went to Weston to see if they could find my mother's 2 sons.
Bert and Ken.
Sadly, they didn't, but Mum told me the whole story.

When Mum was 18, she met and married a young English man, I think that he was a soldier.
It was about 1947, so not too long after the war. He was from Weston-Super-Mare.
They went to live in England. They lived with his parents.
They had 2 sons. Bert and Ken.
I don't know the details, (and if I did, I wouldn't share them).
Let it suffice to say that it didn't work out.
They separated.
Mum had to return to Germany.
She couldn't take the boys, as she needed the fathers permission, she couldn't stay and get work because she was German  (Loads of stuff made things difficult).
Anyway.
Back in Germany, Mum would send letters, cards and gifts, but never had any reply. This went on for many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment